September 15, 2009

Cloth Nappies

The other day Josh and I were talking general baby stuff when the subject of diapers came up. I asked him about using cloth diapers and was immediately given, "Hell no"! Well that wasn't berry nice! I told him that I had wanted to do that with Evan, but was young and scared to do something everyone else scoffed at. Besides, I don't think I had a washer and dryer at that time and couldn't afford a diaper service had one been available to me. Disposables it was. I guess they never considered cloth for Eve or perhaps felt the same as I did, or shared similar circumstances, so you tend to go with what you know. Well, if you know me, you know that I grow a veggie garden in the spring and fall, have a compost bin, would love to collect rainwater (but am waiting on gutters), and have an earth friendly dog poop composter to eliminate my dog's poop heading to local landfills. I WANT to make small changes to do my part in helping out the earth and environment and I'm not above getting a little bit dirty to do so. So, after talking to a girlfriend of mine who's had 6 babies herself, and who raved about the benefit of cloth vs. disposables, I was back on the crappy nappy train. I talked to Josh a little bit more about the benefits and my girlfriend even gave him some insight that I think may have helped him see that it isn't such a chore, they allow breathe-ability to baby's skin, and in the end we won't feel bad about dumping a ton of baby poop and diapers into landfills. I'm also pretty confident I can manage doing a load of baby poo diapers every 2 days without feeling taxed or overwhelmed and if I can't I know 3 other people in this family who can load a washing machine like a pro! "Wash and fold hoochie coo"...I crack myself up at 6:30 in the morning...

2 comments:

  1. lol...that foot to belly kick pic is kinda creepy.

    I'm now following your craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. pannolini online

    ReplyDelete