April 29, 2010

Bedrest...oy vay

So, yesterday we had our weekly OB visit with Dr. Brown. I can't say that I'm pleased with the way things turned out. I was a little emotional once we were roomed, probably because I knew I would be having my cervix checked as well as my strep B swab cultures done. Got a little teary and before I could suck it up the medical assistant was there to check my BP. They use an electronic cuff, which isn't the most reliable, but the reading was 166/88 which is well over what's normal for me. She told me she'd come back and recheck it in a few minutes, when I was calmer. Twenty minutes later she returned and rechecked it...138/86. Still high. Grrr. Well, after the exam Dr. Brown advised that I go on bed rest until Monday morning when he could recheck my BP and get my lab results back. Not really what I wanted to hear, but at least there was no protein in my urine and my BP lowered with rest...no preeclampsia. He did say that we could be induced early, but that I would have to have an amniocentesis that showed lung maturity first. I'm 36 weeks and 5 days today and 38 weeks seems like light years away. That's going to be my cut off point. If I haven't gone into spontaneous labor by then I will agree to the amnio and get the show on the road. There's no way I want to deliver a 9 lb baby. There are too many risks associated with it.  So, that's where we are. I am going to see patients today and tomorrow and then reevaluate whether or not I feel like I can work this weekend. It's a light load and I can put my feet up between visits. I sure wish I had maternity leave at this point, but being a home health nurse I am going to have to deal with this the best way that I can. Back to bed for this girl...doctor's orders...

No comments:

Post a Comment